Friday 1 October 2010

The sun sets on Dark Horizons...

Or at least my version of it!

I didn't know it at the time, but number 57 was my final issue of Dark Horizons for the British Fantasy Society – and the final issue of Dark Horizons in its current format. A new hardback journal is planned to replace all the current BFS publications, effective immediately, and although I was offered a contributory role in that, editing a Dark Horizons section, it wouldn't have been the same.

It's been a nice little run, though, and I was planning to hang up my boots at the end of the season, so I can't complain.

So thanks to all the contributors who made issue 57 such a good one to bow out on. If I'd known it was my last issue I'd have said goodbye in the editorial, but otherwise I wouldn't have changed a thing. Thanks also to everyone who contributed to previous issues, and for that matter to every single person who submitted a story. I'm sorry I had to reject any of them!

I've had a brilliant time as Dark Horizons editor. I've made lots of new friends, gained lots of experience, and gained a bit of confidence. Thanks to Marie O'Regan and the 2007–8 committee for giving me the post, to Peter Coleborn (one of the preceding editors) for getting me off on the right foot with a very useful handover email, and to everyone since then who has offered advice and support. Ian Hunter gets my thanks both for his expertise as poetry editor and for his excellent contributions.

I must also thank frequent contributors like Jim Steel, Douglas Thompson, Rafe McGregor and Andrew Knighton for some of my favourite stories; Mike Barrett for a series of fascinating articles; wonderful, generous artists like John Shanks, Inna Hansen, Martin Hanford, David Bezzina, and Alf Klosterman, to name just a few; and Jan Edwards, Louise Morgan and Jenny Barber for some excellent interviews. Finally, thanks to Bob Loader and his team at Good News Digital Printing for delivering all five issues in good time and well under budget. Thanks to everyone!

It also seems at the moment that reviews for the BFS will no longer appear in print, which is a bit of a shame. I've really enjoyed contributing to Prism's review section over the last couple of years – it's been a real apprenticeship for me – and it was an excellent way for new members to contribute to the society. But no worries: maybe it will prompt more people to figure out how to work the BFS website!

The benefit of course is that I can now give Theaker's Quarterly and our books the attention they deserve. I really have neglected you guys!

1 comment:

  1. You will be sorely missed, Stephen (sorry for the Hollywood cliche' there, John!), but TQ looks like the mag of the future...

    ReplyDelete