1. Marry someone who already knows what a jerk you are.
2. If you have a row sleep at the opposite end of the bed rather than stomping off to sleep somewhere else. It's hard to be mad at someone's feet for what their mouth said.
3. Marry someone who likes the same TV programmes, because it's always going to be a cheap easy way to have fun together.
4. If possible, try to go to bed at the same time.
5. But get a Kindle with a built-in light so that you don't need to keep the lamp on.
6. Marry someone who thinks you're funny.
7. Be aware of their minimum expectations in the relationship and make sure you meet them.
8. Divide the household tasks up cleanly so that there's no arguing over whose turn it is to do something.
9. Never leave an empty toilet roll behind.
10. Be lucky.
If you've got any tips of your own, please let me have them in the comments! Our twentieth anniversary is now almost within reach and it would be a terrible shame if I fell at the last hurdle!