Wednesday 13 November 2013

Fifteen albums I bought without hearing a single song by that artist, and whether I like those albums now

Fifteen albums I bought without hearing a single song by that artist, and whether I like those albums now:

  1. Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts, M83 (yes)
  2. Digital Dump, The Jackofficers (no)
  3. Volume 2, Echoboy (no)
  4. Surfing on Sine Waves, Polygon Window (yes)
  5. Compilations 1995-2002, Hood (not really)
  6. This Is the Day, This Is the Hour, This Is This! Pop Will Eat Itself (yes)
  7. Possessed, The Balanescu Quartet (yes)
  8. Alpha Centauri, Tangerine Dream (yes)
  9. Unreleased? Fire! with Jim O’Rourke (yes)
  10. 69 Love Songs, The Magnetic Fields (yes)
  11. Decade, Neil Young (yes)
  12. Avant Hard, Add N to (X) (yes)
  13. Endtroducing, DJ Shadow (yes)
  14. You Make Me Real, Brandt Brauer Brick (yes)
  15. The Noise Made By People, Broadcast (yes)

Have you bought any albums like that, just on the basis of good reviews, a nice album cover or an interview in the newspaper?

Wednesday is usually list day. This is list #10.

3 comments:

  1. Hall of the Mountain Grill, by Hawkwind. Who could resist that cover?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carter USM - 101 Damnations (no, in fact I think I got a refund from Our Price)
    Pixies - Gigantic EP (yes, in spite of the cover)
    The Neurotics - Is Your Washroom Breeding Bolsheviks? (no)
    The Wonder Stuff - Eight Legged Groove Machine (yes)
    More Fiends - You Asphalt Head (not really, no)
    Silverfish - Fat Axl (yes)

    A couple of those I have not thought about for twenty odd years, but I can still recall the irritation of having been hoodwinked by a cool-looking cover or a cool-looking band photograph in the NME.

    These days it must be difficult to chance it and buy music without hearing it. Seven or eight pounds for an album of untried music seemed quite a big risk in the late 80s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot one:

    My Bloody Valentine - Isn't Anything (yes)

    One of my more inspired random teenage purchases.

    ReplyDelete